Best free fonts for designers
Fonts used to display text influence the perception of the latter. That’s why for this article we have collected the best free fonts for designers that will help your web designs and printed materials using Cyrillic and Romanian scripts to look and feel professional.
Top 10 best free fonts for Cyrillic script
High-quality Cyrillic fonts are still not very common but nowadays they aren’t as rare as before. The list below contains both universal serif and sans-serif fonts and some ultra elegant fonts for special cases.
1. Nord is a sans-serif font available in four type styles (Light, Medium, Regular and Bold). It has rounded angles and interesting curly endings (look at the “Я” letter for example) and is good for headings or putting emphasis on certain elements:
2. Lora font is available in Regular, Bold, Italic, and BoldItalic styles but it belongs to sans-serif type and looks better when used for the main content of the page:
3. Mateur is a script type that can be used for illustrations:
4. Lato is another sans-serif font with an amazing support of languages: 100 languages with Latin and 50 languages with Cyrillic script. And it supports Greek as well! Lato is available in Regular, Bold, Italic, Light, BoldItalic, and LightItalic font styles.
5. Sangha font was designed based on Indian themes and will look good on websites devoted to Oriental culture:
6. Arvo is a Terminal font that can be used for displaying snippets of code on the page:
7. Frenchpress is a beautiful sans-serif font for special occasions, for example tickets, invitations or greeting emails:
8. Proba Pro is available for free in Regular and Italic styles which are quite enough for formatting most text on the web page:
9. Intro Condensed is a narrow variant of a famous font Intro which its creators recommend to use for headings and posters. Black and Light font styles are available for free.
10. Poiret One font looks very elegant and unlike Frenchpress can be used on web pages as well.
Top 10 best free fonts for Latin script
If you work with English-speaking customers, you have virtually all world of design fonts open to you since most font creators provide versions for the English language. They often make one or several font styles free for personal and commercial use to attract attention to the paid version of the font.
1. Volkorn is one of the first sans-serif fonts that became available on Google Fonts. It supports 8 styles:
2. Kaushan Script is a neat and readable script font suitable both for web and printed materials.
3. Stroke font is good for illustrations and displaying slogans and headings. Regular, Bold, and Light font styles are available for free:
5. Oswald is a classic a little condensed sans-serif font that looks good on any devices:
6. Jura is an elegant font with wedge-shaped serifs and round forms. It is good for subheadings or the main content of the page.
7. Exo 2 is a universal technological font with several styles that can be used for most elements of the page:
8. Pompiere is a good choice for somebody who is looking for elegant yet not too serious font:
9. Aclonica is another vivid font for shining headings and outstanding printed materials.
10. Museo is a sans-serif font that looks good in any size and will work for menu items and content of the main page. Museo Sans 500 and Museo Sans styles are available for free:
In this article, we provided fonts for professional graphic designers that can be used for designing websites and printed materials. With such a big amount of various free trendy fonts out there combining them can be a pretty frustrating task. Here’re a few handy rules that will help you nail this task:
- Don’t use too contrast-looking fonts: each of them will try to draw away the user’s attention and distract him or her from the actual content.
- But don’t choose fonts that are too similar either: they will merge and create the unfinished look.
- Create a clear visual hierarchy: simply remember those old-school newspapers with their system of titles, subtitles, and intro paragraphs.
- Remember the context: your design exists to satisfy the specific needs of the company.
- Don’t use more than three fonts on the same page.
Most popular free fonts for commercial use in 2022
Here is a list of new fonts for commercial use, though some are from larger premium font families. Before using a font, be sure to verify its terms: Decohead, Prodelt Co (it features vintage and retro styles inspired by classic product labels.), Alphakind, Sunny Spells, Abcl, Angkatan Bersenjata, Platiipus, No Virus, Roxie Rossa, Tahu (this contemporary script font perfectly suits advertisements, logos, branding, and social media), Apex Display (this display font is a non-serif geometric font with a bold and dense design).
The great number of free coolest new fonts allow the designers to work to the fullest on the tasks, not be confused with the font choice. That’s why we have written the continuation of our article on the popular free fonts. If you are inspired by this material, you can't miss our fresh article! We hope it would help you create amazing projects.
We, studio stfalcon.com, develop UI for websites and mobile apps and will be happy to create modern design with high quality fonts for your company.